Sign up for an Amherst tradition!
Registration is now open for our Fall Foliage 5K walk/run taking place on October 20th.
Get some exercise, take in the beautiful western MA scenery, and support a good cause!
About the walk/run
An Amherst tradition, the Fall Foliage Walk/Run brings together hundreds of runners, walkers, leaf peepers and children to admire the diverse colors of the foliage while they walk or run for diversity in the community. The event is our biggest fundraiser, providing living and school expenses for the ABC scholars: young men of color identified by the national ABC program for their leadership potential. They board at the ABC House on North Prospect Street while they attend Amherst Regional High School. The annual operating costs for the program total about $125,000.
Schedule of events
- 9 am: “Day of” registration for 5K walk/run begins
- 10:30 am: 5K run begins, walkers follow shortly after
- 11:00 am–2 pm: Entertainment, food, and other activities
- Walker/Runner: $25 pre-registration
- Kids: $15
- Family/groups: $60
Think you got what it takes? We’ll see! Winners will be announced at 12:30 pm:
- Fastest male and female runners in each age group (0-12 yrs, 13-19 yrs, 20-29 yrs, 30-39 yrs, 40-49 yrs, 50-59 yrs, 60-69 yrs, 70+)
- Youngest runner and oldest runner
- Fastest team
- Individual who raises the most funds
- Team that raises the most funds
5K Walk/Run Route
The Fall Foliage 5K Walk/Run starts on the Amherst Town Common. Walkers and runners leave the Common, cross Route 9, and head to Amherst College. The route partly circles Amherst College campus and loops around the college’s tennis courts. It then enters the woodlands of the Amherst College bird santuary, highlighted by a beautiful view over the Pelham Hills. Finally it follows the Norwottuck Rail Trail back to the campus. The finish for the walkers will be on the Town Common. Runners and walkers will end near the Town Common. Runners and walkers alike are then invited to enjoy entertainment and family activities.